RSS

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Health Update

I visited several of my doctors this month. I feel that I had lost my way last year and lost control of my health. Instead, this year, I am fighting to gain control.

My weight has spiraled out of control. I've cut out a lot of things from my diet in hopes to lose weight and control my pain levels. I studied about foods that cause inflammation and pain, then cut them out. Of course there is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding Fibromyalgia and foods that help or hurt. For now, I am off of pork, beef, white flour, white sugar, dairy, white potatoes, and avoiding chemically ridden foods. I discovered through this process that I am lactose intolerant.

I purchased Wii Fit U last week. It comes with a Fit Meter to wear, basically a pedometer with some extra features. I've been averaging about 20 minutes of exercise with the "game" per day. I'm encouraged to add steps each day, trying to beat the previous day's score. Whatever works, right?

I resumed my CPAP therapy and am sleeping better as a result. I'm hoping to have more energy as my body adjusts.

I am also reducing my medications. I stopped the Topamax about three months ago after another episode with my kidneys. Currently, I am working on weaning off of the Lyrica. I started out at 450 mgs, then 300, and now 150 mg. The pain during the first several days of dropping to 150 mgs was awful. Once I got through that, the bigger issue was my emotional well being.

My goal is to be med free and manage my pain through diet and exercise. It's hard work. But I think it's worth it. Besides the physical benefits, the savings would be wonderful as well. I've been averaging $700 a year in meds. Not to mention the multiple doctors, hospital stays, OTC meds and vitamins. It's insane. Just thinking about it makes me feel ill.

The important thing, is that I'm not happy. I don't like living my life this way. I'm embarrassed of my size and tried of being judged. My self esteem stinks, obviously not just because of this but it's a huge part of it.

So that's what I'm doing. I'm fighting. I just hope it's worth it.

1 comments:

PinkyAmyC said...

It's definitely worth it sweetie!!!
I wish I could be as brave as you & go off all these damned meds....but every day my body seems to be getting worse, not better...maybe that's a sign I should be getting off them?
I love you for doing what you're doing, for yourself, & for your gorgeous baby girl!!!
*Huggs*