RSS

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spin It

Yesterday on our way to pick Daddy up from work, the car broke down. Luckily, we do have roadside service and we were able to get the car towed home safely.

My automatic reaction, probably anyone's reaction, is to be upset.
It would be easy to allow myself to sink into despair over all the progress we've made to just be stuck at home again. Soon after, Robert and I just looked at each other, shrugged and claimed "It could have been worse." From there we agreed to just forget about it and take what time we had left of the evening to enjoy our family rather than letting it ruin our night.

So here I am "stuck" at home. I told myself right off that I wasn't going to let it get me down, but I had no plan of action. See, telling yourself you're not going to let something bother you is great, but if you don't have a plan of action for when it does bother you, well it's just going to bother you. The key is to learn how to spin it. Think about the way it could have been worse until you realize it's not so bad. Treat yourself like a toddler going after that one thing over and over...distraction!

How am I spinning it? Yes, it could have been worse. The failure could have led to a car accident. We could have been in the middle of nowhere with no way to get help. We could have been without roadside. We could live somewhere that doesn't have public transportation to rely on for Robert to get back and forth to work.

I'm promoting my time at home as time to refocus on me. This is just more time to do the things I want to do. I can nap when Meghan does if I need to. I can catch up on tv and movies. I can use my exercise bike more. When we get tired of being inside, we can go play on the tennis court (it's fenced in and makes an excellent place to draw with chalk or kick a ball), we can go for a walk, we can work on our fears of swimming by...well swimming, we can even take the bus to the mall or the museum. I can cook at home more, which will take away the temptation to eat bad foods (plus save money!). I can catch up on organizing and cleaning our home.

I'm not stuck at home. I'm on a staycation. And by golly, I'm going to enjoy it!

0 comments: