RSS

Monday, June 4, 2012

Absolutely Furious

After two weeks of excruciating migraines I went to the doctor today. I've had migraines since I was four (Yes, I know it's outrageous!) that come in bouts, sometimes they're gone for several months and then they come back for a few debilitating weeks or months. Because I had been managing since Meghan was born and they hit me out of nowhere, it was time to be seen.


First of all, you must know that I already despised this doctor. Her first offense was when I asked her to handle my anti-depressants and sleeping medication that I was prescribed when Max had died. When I told her the reason why I was on the meds in the first place, she didn't even blink. It was as if I had just told her I had stubbed my toe. She didn't react at all, no "I'm sorry to hear that" nothing. Very cold. A few months later, I had gotten off of the sleeping medication but my pain was out of control. I went in for a refill of the pain medication (a low dose narcotic) that she had been prescribing without issue for almost two years. This time she claimed that she was not qualified to treat Fibromyalgia and could not prescribe narcotics. She then referred me out to a rheumatologist.

So today I go for this migraine, desperate for help. She asks me a bunch of questions and then announces that I'm having a migraine. Duh! She asks if I had seen a neurologist, to which I replied no. She says it'd take 6 weeks to get in with a referral. She says she'll write me Imtrex but then notices that it would interfere with my anti-depressant. Now, I know there are other headache medications that would be acceptable, but she just gives up right that and writes a prescription for - get this - PERCOCET! What happened to "I don't write narcotics?" not to mention, it's not a migraine medication. It may help with the pain of the migraine but it does not treat it or the other symptoms. So basically once the high fades, you still have migraine. Plus, I don't take pain medication when I'm home alone with Meghan. I don't see that as a responsible thing for me to do. So, in order for me to even take it, Robert would have to be home. The whole point of me going was to get out of pain so he wouldn't have to miss work. AGH! So then I say, "What do I need to do for the referral, will they call me or do I need to call them?" and she tells me she's not writing one because six weeks is too long. HELLO!?

From there, she gets onto me about my weight and writes out a form for lab work. Appointment over. So basically, I lost $25 and gained a prescription for a narcotic that I can't take and won't help with the issue. I see my rheumy on the 20th, so I think I'll get him to do the referral for the neuro. Somethings got to give. For now, I'm on the market for a new primary. If I were a monkey, I sooooo would have flung some poop at her.

1 comments:

Carrie Newman Cellon said...

I see a Dr. Mark Werner for my migraines. I have had them since my early twenties and at times, have had four headaches a week. One lasted two weeks long. I've been on every med, including antidepressants. If you can't take Imitrex, I can probably rule out what antidepressants you aren't on. I might be able to give you suggestions as I have found my miracle drugs and physicians (and I am narcotic free). Holla at me girl. If ever you want to chat too. My number is on FB.