RSS

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our Morning Out

As I've mentioned before, working on social interactions and expanding my social life is one of my goals. It's not only important for my own wellbeing but for Meghan's as well.

I finally bit the bullet this morning and took Meghan to a meetup with our local Mom's group. I wasn't sure I'd make it until I was there and unloading the stroller from our van.

The weather was just perfect for being outdoors. We went to a local park that we used to frequent for an ice cream social. Immediately, I recognized two moms from the group in the parking lot. I haven't been around much and they didn't remember me from previous functions. No fault of theirs, that was to be expected. I chatted with them on the way to tables we were going to and then took Meghan to the swings. There was the internal struggle over whether to use the swing that felt natural to me or the one on the right. Creature of habit, I chose the left swing, Max's swing. Another Mom took the swing to the right to me. I pushed Meghan and couldn't help but to picture all those trips before pushing Max in that same swing. I couldn't help but to picture the moms that had stood beside me in the past, moms that I felt like I knew.

We went to the pavilion for ice cream and took the available spot at the end of the table. The moms were all very nice and introduced themselves. But they knew each other, knew the names of all the kids. They made conversation and I just kind of allowed myself to sink into the background. So not me. I just sat with Meghan and helped her with her ice cream.

Meghan finished her ice cream so I let her down. She took off running, so we explored for a few moments. We talked to a little boy, 20 months old, who reminded me so much of Max. Back at the pavilion the other moms had scattered to the playground, so we just packed our things and left.

I felt tense on the way home, but it was uneventful drive home. We unloaded the van and I took Meghan straight upstairs. I changed her diaper, gave her a hug and kiss, and put her to bed for her nap. I told her I loved her, walked across the room, closed the door softly behind me...and collapsed in the hallway letting the sobs take over, memories and pain washing over me. I don't know how I made it down the stairs with my eyes so blurred but I did. I fixed a glass of water as the tears streamed down.

I don't know what to take from this. Part of me is proud for going and staying even though I knew it would be hard. But I also wanted to just pack up the house and run away. I would love so much to just leave this city and go somewhere new, somewhere that doesn't hurt so much. Never attend another meetup, cut off all relationship (such as they are).I just felt so alone and just overwhelmed today. I missed my son. I miss our old friends. I hated not knowing anyone and feeling uncomfortable. I hated Gainesville and everything that it meant to me at that moment. More than anything I hated myself for being unable to handle a simple thing, a simple event that was supposed to be fun.

5 comments:

Kim said...

I am so proud of you, hun. This was a really big step for you and I am so happy for you that you made it through. One step at a time. I know you can do it. And once I'm healed and can walk again, I'd love to go with you. That way, you have at least one familiar face :)

Kim said...

One more thing, regarding this sentence "More than anything I hated myself for being unable to handle a simple thing, a simple event that was supposed to be fun."............. You DID handle it. Yes, you were emotional when you got home, but you DID handle it. You made it through the event and all the way home before crying. That sounds like one heck of a leap of progress to me. Way to go, Amy!

TheHarrison's said...

You're amazing Amy! One day, one minute and one step at a time. Be proud of yourself. You did more than many of us can imagine! I look up to you so much ;) Love you girl!!

Unknown said...

You need to give yourself alot more credit! I can't begin to imagine how much strength it takes to get thru everyday, esp when everywhere are reminders and sorrow. It is unbelieveably unfair the burden you have had to carry, yet you are an unbelieveable person. You are far more than your stumbles and always will be, because you stumble on. I love you and respect you more and more everyday.

Harvesting Joy said...

The firsts are always so hard. And they happen all of the time. I also break down and have a hard time when we go somewhere full of memories. It does get easier the more you go to the same places and start making new memories. Which is a double edged sword sometimes, isn't it?
I'm really happy you are getting out and trying...even though it is sooooo hard, it is not only good for Meghan, but also for you. And I'm sure Max is happy to see you doing "fun" things just like I know Jameson is watching us and happy we are doing fun things. Keagan and I talk about how J is probably watching us and doing something similar in heaven. Like if we are playing dinosaurs, we talk about how J is probably riding a real T-Rex in heaven. I started doing this to make it easier on Keags, but it helps me too. Now I really enjoying thinking about how much fun he is probably having up there. Hugs to you. Keep trying- life is still a gift.